Thursday, October 18, 2012

Technology - Good, Bad, or Ugly?

Technology has become an important aspect in everyday life, and we have seen this flourish in the education system. Students as young as five years are exposed to technology such as computer software and modern electronics, and are encouraged to learn how to use and work with them in order to assist them with school and in turn future employment. We know that technology has re-shaped the way the modern child is now perceived, and it does produce a lot of limitations and problems, but I believe that there are large benefits if technology is used properly. In saying this however, It is the role of the teacher to teach, and the role of the student to learn. If the student is distracted by the Internet during class, then they are not gaining anything by being at school. From this, It is clear that the Internet should only be used to broaden studies and research, and while in the classroom, students should shift all of their focus to the teacher.

While I was in primary school, my family did not own a computer and therefore searching for information for school assignments and projects was quite difficult for me. I had to go to the library to use the computer, borrow books, and photocopy any information that I wanted to use. This was extremely time consuming, and I do not know how I would now get through University without the Internet. Although we are exposed to vulgar and sometimes inappropriate things on the Internet, it is nevertheless one of the most useful things to date. Information can be easily accessed by typing just one word into Google. There is also a vast flow of electronic information available through online e-journals and info-pages. You can read the news, keep in contact with family that live abroad, and those that really enjoy expressing themselves out in the open, can tweet, blog, rant, or update a status. 


In terms of educational benefits, I think that the use of technology is extremely necessary in order to get through high school and University, and excel. (Yes, you can still go to the library and there is nothing wrong with the library). However, it should not be abused, and I think that student culture is so embedded in technology, and thus, the abuse of technology is what is linking new media to debates in educational politics. The average child has been redefined by technology. For example: my youth consisted of me actively riding my bike, playing with barbie dolls, and watching Playschool. Now, the average child is downloading apps, sending annoying game requests on Facebook, and surfing the net - often coming across unideal things for their age. The incorporation of laptops and ipads into the classroom have posed both benefits and limitations, on one hand they allow students to broaden their education by being able to research beyond information that is presented in class, yet on the other hand it gives students the opportunity to go on Facebook, play games, and not pay attention to what is being taught. Ultimately, it is difficult to decide whether laptops should be allowed in the classroom or not.

Technology has brought considerable change in capacity and globality for accessing and using information as well as communicating, which have both impacted on education. In the article 'Students Left to Their Own Devices' by Linda Morris, it is mentioned that Australian schools are on "the cusp of technological revolution"... and that "The pace of technological change is speeding up at exactly the time that schools are being asked to do more with less and the cost of the technological revolution is being picked up by parents and their fund-raising arms". It is clear that learning occurs beyond the classroom environment, and in the modern, and constant technological revolution that is occurring, there is a need for technology in order to remain up to date with information.

I feel that there needs to be a line drawn, between using technology and abusing technology, but as to where that line should be drawn, I am not sure. The teacher should be able to maintain authority and teach the class while having their full attention, however this is made impossible if students choose to do the wrong thing. Leonardo (2009) Drew stated that "Educators are both in authority to the extent that the state has given then a measure of power as well as an authority as they are insofar as they possess critical amounts of training, knowledge, and skills". In reading this, I recognise that it is the role of the teacher to educate the students, not the role of the internet. Thus, the Internet should only be used if necessary to broaden studies and research.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Carla, I really liked this blog and I agree with you when you say that yes the Internet is useful but it should be maintained. As a future teacher I aspire to really be able to connect with my students and be able to teach them valuable things. I feel that this will be impossible if they are all just going to sit there and go on Facebook during class. While you covered some of the problems that the Internet causes, such as the loss of the traditional technology-free childhoods that we both had, I think that there are also problems that you could've mentioned which would have strengthened your argument. Things such as cyber bullying are always popping up in the media, and it's often between students that post insulting crap on Facebook. Sure, bullying occurs just as much at school as it does on the Internet, but I think that at school teachers have the opportunity to try and assist these problems, whereas on the Internet, bullying can go on unknown for a long time before being stopped.

    In terms of the abuse of technology, I think children are spending too much time on the Internet. I think that new policies should be made in order to hinder the constant necessity to use technology at schools. Like you said, it is the role of the teacher to teach. If the teacher cannot do his or her job successfully then I think that the future of schools are not going to look very good.

    ReplyDelete