The Hills District
I find the 'Hills' district weird. I'm going to call it, they do things differently out there. In the East there is no public school market and there is no public school with the status of being the best. There is not fierce competition to get into the public schools, I am told however, that in the Hills this is not so.
I find the 'Hills' district weird. I'm going to call it, they do things differently out there. In the East there is no public school market and there is no public school with the status of being the best. There is not fierce competition to get into the public schools, I am told however, that in the Hills this is not so.
This
issue was first raised in a car trip when I was enquiring about life in the
Hills district, my friend said that she went to West Pennant Hills High, and
that there was competition between West Pennant and Cherrybrook Technology High
School - one of the largest schools in the state. Discussion was had over
school borders (thankfully I had some knowledge of the issue due to this
course), and how families bought houses within the catchment area of their
preferred school. But one day, she recounted, the unthinkable happened - the
government changed the catchment boundaries. Havoc wreaked the Hills, families
who had bought into the Cherrybrook catchment found themselves in the new West
Pennant Hills catchment, others who had bought into the West Pennant catchment
found themselves facing an uncertain future at Cherrybrook.
Brown
writes in the Sydney Morning Herald that “[D]ata available on the My School
website has driven families to settle also in the catchment areas for the top
public comprehensive schools such as Killara High, Willoughby Girls, Chatswood
High, Mosman High and Killarney Heights High.”[1]
This idea of public school choice affects not only the North-west of Sydney,
but also the North Shore. The article continues writing that “Northern Sydney
Regional Council of Parents and Citizens Associations executive member Steph
Crofts said parents kept a close eye on the academic performance of the public
schools. 'You hear of families moving into the catchment areas for those highly
ranked schools to get their kids in,' she said. 'I think that explains a lot of
the movement.''’[2]
Research
by Kenway and Bullen identified three main factor’s in school choice;
proximity, pleasant feel, and performance.’[3]
These ideas mesh with both the personal recounts on my friends, and the Sydney
Morning Herald. Parents clearly want their children to attend school that
perform well and have a pleasant feel. However, whilst some parents may send
their children to schools near their homes, others appear to send their
children to homes near their schools.
[3] Kenway, J. & Bullen,
(2001). Consuming children: Education-Entertainment-Advertising. Buckingham: Open
University Press. Chapter 5: Designer schools, packaged students. 130
No comments:
Post a Comment